I had one of those moments today. All mothers will know what I'm talking about.
I'm a terrible mother.
I don't do enough with/for my baby.
I need to be more like other moms.
Then I realized how silly I was being. I was comparing myself and my child to the proverbial "perfect" examples in magazines, on the internet, etc. And it got me thinking...
As mothers, as women, heck, as human beings, we are constantly lying to ourselves and making ourselves feel inadequate. We worry so much about how to improve ourselves and our lives that we forget to see how good we already are or how good we already have it. We see other people's lives on social media, but we forget that what they are sharing is their "best", and we compare out "worst" to it. That is not the way to live! We should be happy in ourselves or at least not compare ourselves to other people. Growth/change is good, but feeling like we need to grow/change how we do things because of other people is not.
So I'm making a list of lies that I tell myself, and I am going to conscientiously try to stop telling myself these lies. I have an amazing life and I want to stop worrying so that I can start truly enjoying and appreciating!
1. I'm a terrible mother and should feel guilty that I don't do everything like other moms.
2. I need to lose more weight...I mean, look how much better (insert friend on Facebook) looks than me!
3. I need that new piece of technology, new purse, new dress, etc. My life won't be complete without it.
4. My house is awful and needs so much more work done on it. Everybody who comes in my house is judging me for it.
5. If I don't make more money, I won't be as happy as I could be.
I would say that these are the biggest lies I tell myself all the time. I am going to stop because they are NOT true!
What kind of lies do you tell yourself?